- 88% of our English research is internationally excellent1
- Top 10 in all major UK university league tables for the subject
- Top 100 for English in the QS World University Rankings 2022
- Research strengths range widely across English Studies and include creative writing and film
- Teaching and research at campuses in Exeter and Cornwall
- Exciting events programme involving internationally acclaimed authors, actors and directors
- Excellent support and funding opportunities for PhD study
We are one of the leading departments of English in the UK and have an exciting range of undergraduate programmes and modules. We have strengths in teaching and research in most areas from the medieval period to the present day, including particular specialisms in film and creative writing.
You will have the opportunity to analyse a wide variety of texts, from some of the oldest in the English language to examples of contemporary writing. As well as studying the work of canonical figures such as Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Austen, Joyce and Woolf, we look at a wider selection of works, including popular fiction, film and the works of comparatively little known or neglected authors.
Throughout your studies, you will learn to analyse the literatures of different cultures and periods and to interpret this material within wider contexts of cultural and intellectual history. Our highly qualified staff will help you to develop your ability to read perceptively and critically and to foster your capacity for creative and original thought. You will develop proficiency in research and analysis, an ability to construct coherent, substantiated arguments, and a capacity to propose your own ideas and theories. In the course of seminars and assessments you will develop highly articulate communication skills with an ability to work efficiently and creatively both individually and in groups.
We are a substantial department, with staff based at the Streatham Campus in Exeter. You will find research-active staff who are leaders in their field and who share their expertise with you through their undergraduate teaching.
1 Based on research rated 4* + 3* in REF 2021, submitted to UoA27 English Language and Literature