Dr Aiysha Jahan
Dr Aiysha Jahan is a writer, mentor and lecturer in Creative Writing, with an interest in contemporary fiction that explores identity and belonging in South Asian immigrant communities, particularly in the middle east.
She completed a PhD in Creative Writing at the University of Southampton for which she wrote both fiction and nonfiction that explores the Third-culture-kid experience in the middle east.
She co-founded the Write Beyond Borders mentoring programme, a transnational writer development scheme that brings together new and experienced writers of South Asian background. The project has seen new writers go on to procure publishing deals, win prizes and attend highly-competitive writing residencies.
She is particularly interested in developing writing projects that serve local communities. She works regularly with schools and young people in the community to explore themes of home and belonging through writing.
Dr Jahan teaches both critical and creative writing, with a focus on the short story form. Students who would like advice on developing their short fiction skills can book an appointment here.
Dr Jahan is particularly interested in reading about and researching
- Third Culture Kid experiences
- Identity in immigrant communities
- Exploration of home
- Belonging and unbelonging
- Citizenship versus denizenship
- Fiction that explores second-generation immigrant experiences
- EAS1042 - Write after Reading
- EAS1043 - Critical Reflections
- EAS1044 - Imagine This: Prompts for Creative Writing
- EAS1045 - The Essay: Form and Content
- EAS2031 - Creative Writing: Building a Story
- EAS3122 - Creative Writing Dissertation